Not long ago, it was quite rare to talk about the personal difficulties that had to be faced. One hardly dared to evoke the words depression or anguish … and risked to face guilty looks. Going to “see someone” was both an exception and the risk of feeling almost ashamed.
As the world has evolved, it has become easier to use the services of a professional psychotherapist to answer some of the questions we ask ourselves and help us feel better.
Thus, it can also be a simple desire to live differently: you should face a difficult existence, or you simply want to develop your potential, and also enrich your life. At the same time, this therapeutic work may involve yourself in a process of personal evolution, or simply because you wishe to take a time for yourself, to get to know yourself better.
In summary, there are no good or bad reasons to consult a psychotherapist. Here are the types of subjects we are used to accompany in our cabinets:
- Self-esteem issues, lack of self-confidence
- Separation, grief
- Sickness, disability
- Anger management
- Difficulties at work: tensions, adapting to change, harassment, dismissal…
- Embrace your homosexuality
- Sleep issues
- Anxiety, stress, tiredness
- Family tensions, couple counseling, modification of the family unit (birth, moving …)
- Teenagers, transition to adulthood
- Sexual Problems
- Intercultural adaptation / expatriation
- Lack of meaning in your life
- Obsessive disorders (O.C.D.), addictions, eating disorders…
All these reasons are legitimate, to come in consultation… who would dare to doubt it? Often we might be tempted to try to settle things for ourselves. Most of the time, however, it is not possible for us to find the resources necessary to deal with these types of situations in the depths of ourselves or in our immediate surroundings. This is precisely where a professional can take over, and help us to deal with these problems to solve them satisfactorily.
In general, as for a physical problem, it is recommended to act as soon as possible in order to prevent things from getting worse.